Monday, March 19, 2012

13.1 Done

My wonderful parents and boyfriend all gathered in D.C. for St. Patrick's Day weekend to support my half marathon endeavor and celebrate the greatest nationality in the world.

I ran the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon and race entertainment definitely lived up to the hype. There were bands playing throughout the course, which wove through some of the greatest parts of the city. I had grand plans to get under 1:45, which was definitely doable based on my training runs and past marathon experience. The race website mislead us a little about exactly how hilly the course was, and miles 5 through 9 were a steady incline. When i finally hit a down hill I went to open up my stride and started having cramps in both of my calves. Any runner who has had calf cramps knows how painful they are, and I ended up walking and running the remaining 4 miles. I was beyond frustrated because the rest of me wanted to run. I ended up at 1:57, which with all the walking I guess I will take - although I'm definitely disappointed.

This is how running goes though. if you never had bad races, you would never appreciate the great ones :)

No comments:

Post a Comment