Monday, December 3, 2012

Girls on the Run

~~~~

Today's Workout: 45 min biking

~~~~

I was a busy busy bee this weekend but it sure was a good one.

Saturday morning I headed out for 8 mile run in desperate need of some fresh air and quality alone time after spending Friday night glued to books and my computer studying for finals.

Saturday night, I allowed myself a little break from grad school jail and celebrated the holidays at a friend's Christmas party (for a hot minute).

Sunday we played our last flag football game of the year.



Then my friend and I headed to the Girls on the Run 5k, where we voluntereed for the afternoon.





I cannot say enough how much I love and admire this organization.



Being active in sports my entire life, I believe, has made me a more strong and confident young woman today. I do not always like the way my body looks. There are days where I am harder on myself than I should be. However, I think my accomplishments in running oftern reminds me that my body, while not perfect, is capable of amazing things, and I should be so proud of it.

Too many girls today grow up concerned about what they look like, and have an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise. I know personally it is hard to remember a time in my life that I wasn't aware of my body in comparison to other girls, and I haven't always had the healthiest relationship with food.

So this organization is not a soap box for me to tell girls that they should do everything I do, but rather to help them recognize their own strengths and value.

I wish so badly I had the time to be a coach, but work and grad school sort of make that impossible. Instead, I try to help out at the 5k events, either as a running buddy (to help one of the girls complete the distance) or with general race day organization.

Please check out this part of their site and see how you can get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment