Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Every little thing is going to be alright

~~~

No Workout - rest

~~~

2013 has not been good to me. I started the year with strep, followed by an allergic reaction to make-up, and most recently I came down with the double whammy flu and walking pneumonia simultaneously. Yesterday, I ventured out of the house for the first time in days to go back to the doctor for the go-ahead to return to work. After a positive appointment, I waited at a bus stop when a man on a bicycle came by and ripped my purse right off my arm! Everything was in there. Keys to my house and car, my wallet which had my ID's, my credit and debit cards, my metrocard, my insurance cards, my antibiotics, my make up, my sun glasses, everything....

Overwhelmed by my pity party, I just broke down. Why do I keep getting sick when I take good care of myself? Why did my purse have to be stolen when I am struggling to even physically leave the house?

Enough. As the night unfolded I realized I have no reason to feel sorry for myself. Yes, I have been sick, but I am lucky to not only live in a country with good health care, but I am able to afford it. Yes I had to take many sick days, but at least I have a job to take sick days from. Yes, I had valuable things stolen, but I am lucky to have been given those things in the first place. And in the grand scheme of things, I was lucky that I was not injured and that material things were all that I lost. I found myself surrounded by great friends, supportive parents, and a helpful boyfriend that showed me I had far greater things in my life then what was in that bag.

It's funny how things work out. This morning as I started making a list of the things I would need to replace, I got a call from the university police that a bag that had my ID in it was found in a bus stop near the one I was robbed at. I had filed a police report the night before, and they were able to find the majority of my things. Yes all the cash and credit cards were gone, but the bag (which was a gift) and the wallet itself (also a gift) were there. They said this is not uncommon, as a man carrying a bag usually draws the attention of potential theft, so it is likely that things will be grabbed and then the rest is ditched.

Lesson learned. Don't be caught up checking emails on your phone and stop paying attention to your surroundings.Only carry what you actually need in your purse. Leave an emergency card at home.

Until next time, I am counting my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment