Friday, July 26, 2013

Pompeii Day Trip

Almost every person I talked with about my travel plans to Naples made a point to insist I visit Pompeii. Once I arrived, all the locals told me Ercolano / Herculaneum was where it is at. No offense to Herculaneum, but being that their entrance fees are the same, Pompeii is way more bang for your buck. Both of the cities were destroyed entirely by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD, but Pompeii was significantly larger. While Herculaneum is more manageable to cover in a half day, if you have the time you should do Pompeii (or both ideally!). I've said it before, but walking around these ruins you can really picture what life was like for these people. From their version of corner bars (with marble counter tops seen below), you get a sense that life here was relatively normal. It's chilling to then look to the side a see Mt. Vesuvius towering and envision the panic during the eruption.











Thanks so much for following my journey! To see more photos from Pompeii / Italy, follow me on instagram @jmicheles

No comments:

Post a Comment