Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chocolate Covered Everything

~~~~

Today's Workout: 30 min elliptical

~~~~

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I was in charge of desserts for the party.
A combined inspiration from previous holiday parties I have attended and pinterest, I pulled together the below dessert menu:

Oreo Truffles
Mint White Chocolate Fudge  (due to time constraints, this didn't happen)
Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Because I'm a freak, and also because the recipes called for a lot of similar ingredients, I made a little spread sheet of what I need. This made it easier than consulting every recipe while in the store.



(You read right, while I will be making everything else, I plan to cheat on the Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Kyle, either because he enjoyed my oreo truffles so much, or because he was sick of listening to me complain about my make-shift double boiler, purchased this chocolate melting pot for me awhile ago. (available here.)



It is the best. I'm sure there are more top-of-the-line products out there, but this suites me just fine. It melts the chocolate quickly, keeps it liquid long enough for me to actually work with it, and it is very clean.

First, I tackled the oreo truffles. I have made these many times and don't really follow a recipe anymore, but this recipe is similar.

First, crush oreos. You can use a food processor, but I just put them in a Ziploc bag and smash with my palm.





In a separate bag, crush a few chocolate wafers. (I twist the oreos and only use the side that doesn't have frosting on it, these are for sprinkling on top of the truffles at the end, and its easier if they don't have frosting clumping it together).

Next, add the cream cheese. I break into smaller cubes so it easier to mix evenly.





Mold into little balls and place on tray. I use muffin tins just to keep them from rolling around. I make them a little smaller than an inch across.



I place mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes so they are more firm and don't fall apart when I am rolling them in chocolate.

While they are solidifying, I start melting the morsels in my chocolate pro.




Everyone has their own method for coating the truffles, I like to use two spoons. I place the ball in spoon 1, drop a spoonful of chocolate on it with spoon 2, roll it to the spoon 2, use spoon 1 to drip more chocolate on it, and back and forth until it is evenly coated and then place it in the tray. Before the chocolate hardens, I sprinkle some of the oreo crumbs on top.







The final product:



I was running short on time, so couldn't document the pretzels, but I melted milk chocolate morsels the same way, dipped the pretzels , and then coated with sprinkles and frosting.



My roommates handled the rest of the food and holiday-inspired drinks.

The next day, I didn't want anything cookie or pretzel related, but for some reason I was craving these:



so so so yummy. I am blood type chocolate this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment