Friday, March 22, 2013

Orlando - What we did

~~~

Today's Workout: Total body in the gym over lunch break: 10 min warm-up on the elliptical, 3 x 15 bicep curls, 3 x 15 overhead press, 3 x 15 flys, 3 x 15 tricep curls, 3 x 20 squats, 3 x 20 laying side leg raises, 3 x 20 hamstring curls with medicine ball, 3 x 60 second plank hold

~~~

We were busy busy busy while we were in Orlando. I have to preface this post with saying that when I initially found out that we were doing a family trip here, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy. I feel awful just typing this because I know so many people never get a chance to go on these types of vacations. My thought was that I was passed the age where I wanted to run around a theme-park for my own joy and I don't have kids yet so I am not quite at the point where I enjoy running around for them. My idea of a good vacation calls for a lot of sleeping in, laying in the sun, drinking yummy drinks, spa-ing, etc. etc. However, I desperately wanted to see and spend time with my family so when the opportunity presented itself - I was game.

To say my expectations were surpassed would be an understatement, and a lot of that had to do with my parents being amazing and pulling out all the stops. Whether it was buying express passes so we didn't have to wait in lines, opting for private cabanas so we didn't have to wrestle for loungers on the beach, and the like, they really made it such a wonderful trip for us. I know it isn't easy planning family vacations when everyone is at such different points in their life, but I am so incredibly thankful for what the did for us.

We did take time to relax around the resort, and we also made stops at Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure, Sea World, Typhoon Lagoon, and Downtown Disney. Here is a little glimpse of what we did in Orlando:

First and foremost, I got to spend time playing auntie. I miss this little nugget so much.


The first spot we ventured to was Sea World. I have a weird fear of fish. Mostly I just hate the idea of walking in those underground tunnels where they swim above you. I remain unconvinced that those walls can never break. Also, snorkeling makes me hyperventilate. I do like checking out the animals and fish from afar though...



Because of the express-passes, we didn't have to wait in line for rides at Universal Studios or Islands of adventure. Thus, we were able to breeze through both parks in a day when it would normally take two. We spent a little time in Harry Potter Land (World? - I can't remember how they phrased it). I am no Harry-die hard, but it really astounds me what these park architects can do. The rides were pretty fun as well :)



Universal was having nightly Mardi Gras parades so we were able to catch one when we were leaving the park. I don't think I'll get the chance to be with my nephew the next time he is at a Mardi Gras parade, nor would he want me there.



We also spent some time at Typhoon Lagoon. This place is famous for their huge tidal wave pool that sends a serious 7 ft wave every 90 seconds. The park actually allows surfers to come use it have the water park closes for the day. When my brother and I first came here when we were younger, we didn't know this was a wave pool. Imagine our terror as we splashed around and a wave erupted. We have been close ever since. 



My parents rented out this private cabana which included a cooler and locker so we could all head out for some fun in the sun without worrying about our belongings. It also came with an attendant that kept the margaritas coming and afforded us the opportunity to eat lunch in the privacy of our own shack. This cabana came in handy when it was time for the little guy to take a nap and for when any of us were ready for a break from the sun. Liam made some castles, I did some laying around, we all caught some waves, and we did many many many water slides.



We spent time walking taking in Downtown Orlando too.




While 99% of the trip was spent having fun, I couldn't completely neglect my studies. However, grad school reading sucks a lot less under these conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment